HUXLEY, HEART OF THE PRAIRIE
Huxley, Iowa is a unique community where economic opportunity is within driving distance, kids can attend great schools, you can own your own home, community involvement is valued, and friends are just next door. Our town combines both small town, Iowa values with growth and economic opportunity. We truly are the Heart of the Prairie.
In 1881 S.S. Merrill platted a village and called it Huxley after his uncle and British biologist Thomas Henry Huxley. Over the past century Huxley has grown into a well-rounded community and because of its location between Des Moines and Ames has experienced a steady growth and continues to do so. The city of Huxley at the 2000 census had a population of 2316. In 2006 a special census was completed and Huxley had an official population of 2959 which reflects a growth of over 27%. Huxley completed an annexation early in 2006 and another in 2007. The 2010 census notes that the city’s population is 3317 and still increasing. Huxley continues to grow while keeping its small community vitality. Huxley attracts families that enjoy the friendliness of a small community and the amenities that offer an excellent quality of life for all residents.Huxley, Iowa is a great place to live, work and raise a family. Below is a list of a few reasons why.
- Is centrally located between Ames, Iowa and the northern suburbs of Des Moines, Iowa
- Provides a small town atmosphere
- Offers city/developer partnerships to encourage new commercial and industrial construction
- Is a part of a great school district
- Has responsive government
- Offers city-sponsored athletic and recreation opportunities (indoor & outdoor)
- Offers business development opportunities
- Networking opportunities through the Huxley Business Association
- Development land in the new business park through the Huxley Development Corporation
- And so much more….