- November 1972 – Library opens in the basement of City Hall
- June 1973 – A city ordinance was passed officially creating the Huxley Public Library with the first librarian being Aileen Matheson, who was assisted by Evelyn Button.
- March 1987 – Due to growth and use, the library was moved to a space in the Ballard Plaza.
- April 1990 – Continued growth of the library dictated a move to the Huxley Professional Building.
- February 2003 – With even more growth and the help of the school, the library moved to its present location in the top floor of the 3C’s building. We now serve as both the Huxley Public Library and the Ballard Jr High School IMC. We are one of only six libraries in the State of Iowa to participate in a joint venture such as this.
- January 2007 – The Huxley Public Library becomes fully accredited by the State of Iowa for the first time.
- February 2010 – At 12:57pm on February 4, we checked out our one millionth item
Know & Grow: Main Street Stories for toddlers and preschoolers, September through May. Know & Grow currently meets in a private Facebook Social group. Visit Huxley Public Library on Facebook and join our group! Read-Sing-Talk-Play-Write with us! This may temporarily change as we make staffing changes in the spring of 2021.
Two adult book clubs meet monthly. The first Monday morning of each month at 10:00am, and the second Thursday evening of each month at 6:00pm. We meet (socially distanced) in the library and also offer a Zoom link. Contact the library if you’d like to join via Zoom!
We offer a variety of changing programs throughout the year. Follow us on Facebook and/or Instagram and check this site for updated information.
Friends of the Library is a 501c3 organization that comes alongside the library staff to volunteer, fund raise and help maintain all library programs. They would love to have you join them.
Hours of Operation:
On days the Ballard Middle School is in session, we will open at 8:00am.
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Cathy Van Maanen is the Director of Library Services and can be reached in the library at 597-2552, ext. 207, concerning all these programs.