Frequently Asked Questions

Police Department: Frequently Asked Questions
What is the location of the Police Department?
The Huxley Police Department is located on the north end of the City’s building complex. The entire complex starts with the Ballard Middle School, then the 3Cs building which houses Park n Rec, City Library and City Hall, then the Huxley Safe Room / Tornado Shelter and then the Police Department. Our address is 515 N Main Ave.
How do I contact the Huxley Police Department?
24 hours a day and 365 days a year, you may call 515-597-2002 and be connected to the Story County Dispatcher. They will relay your message to the Huxley police officer on duty.  If it is an emergency, you may call the same number or call 911 as well.
How do I pay for a traffic ticket?
If a person has received a traffic ticket in Huxley or anywhere else in Story County, it may be paid to the Clerk of Court at 515 Clark Ave. Ames, Iowa 50010. Also the public can now pay traffic fines online through a State of Iowa website. Just click on the link below to do so. If the ticket was issued anywhere else outside of Story Co., there should be an address near the top for that county’s Clerk of Court. Send the ticket and fine money to that address or use the on line system.
On line ticket paying web address:
Is there a leash law in Huxley?
Yes there is. If your pet is outside with you and is not in a fenced in backyard, the animal needs to be on a leash or chained up. Animals that are caught running at large and do not have a tag, will be taken to the pound.
Was my stray pet picked up by the City of Huxley?
If a police officer or a city worker catches an animal and the animal was not wearing a tag to tell us whom it belonged to, the city will take the animal to Story County Animal Shelter. Before the animal is released, you must prove that it is vaccinated for rabies. You will also have to pay for the animal being in the pound.
Is there a snow ordinance in Huxley?
The City of Huxley does have a snow ordinance, which is Chapter 38.590 of the Municipal Code that is in effect any time there is 1 inch or more of snow and or ice on the streets. All cars need to be off of every street in town so the city street crews can clean the streets. After your street has been cleaned and only after your street has been cleared of the snow, you may again park on the street. If your vehicle is on the street while the removal of snow is taking place, the vehicle will get a parking ticket and also may be towed to a impound yard. The City of Huxley does have emergency snow routes, which are labeled as such. Those streets will be the first ones done when snow needs to be cleaned off the streets. If it is forecasted that it will or is a chance of snow during the overnight hours, please move your vehicles off the street so they can be cleaned. Even if it is 3 a.m., a police officer may wake you up and ask you to move your vehicle.
Does the Huxley Police Department fingerprint people for job applications or other personal matters?
Yes. You can call the police department at 515-597-2002 and speak with an officer to set up a time to do the fingerprinting. This may be done anytime during the day or night whichever more convenient for you. You will need to bring the fingerprint cards to be used. We do charge $5.00 per fingerprint card.